HMS was commissioned on behalf of Wakefield Council to undertake decorative resin bonded surfacing to the now pedestrian, only historic 18th Century Ferrybridge Old Bridge near Wakefield.
HMS has undertaken other historic and listed buildings work for Wakefield previously, including Chantry Bridge and Sagar Street. Ferrybridge Old Bridge, since superseded by a newer vehicle bridge, is open only to foot traffic in order to preserve its historic monument status, and remains a popular through route for the local area.
An advert was placed in the 21 January 1797 edition of the Leeds Mercury for a competition to design a new bridge crossing at Ferrybridge. Plans had to be submitted within five days of the advert being published, with John Carr, an eminent architect from York, at the age of 74, submitting the winning entry.
Bernard Hartley was appointed Surveyor in 1797 and commenced building the Bridge using direct labour.
An extract from the accounts for the years 1799 to 1803 contains some interesting information regarding the expenditure on the erection of the bridge. In 1799 the cost of “ale” supplied to the workmen was £142 (about 1/30 of the total annual bill). The amount spent on “ale” in the following year was drastically reduced to about £10.
The total cost of the bridge is not clear, however the total cost of the works up to April 21st April 1803 was approximately £24,864.
The Bridge was scheduled as a Grade 1 listed ancient monument in 1967.
After extensive resurfacing including restoration of the original stonework, HMS was asked to surface dress approx. 600m of resin bonded surfacing using a traditional 2-4mm Amber Gold aggregate. This stone choice has been widely used on multiple heritage sites across the UK on account of its natural appearance and excellent slip resistant properties and we think it works brilliantly at this site also!